Are you a confident communicator with an upbeat attitude?
You’re a positive people person, who has some customer service background. You’re used to helping people make decisions in a timely, efficient manner and pointing them in the right direction. You’re a bit of a contradiction because you enjoy the rush of high-energy multi-tasking and yet you don’t mind repetitive tasks. You can be persuasive and, at the same time, sincere. You’re confident but accepting of constructive feedback. So what kind of job requires a person like you? One that doesn’t fit in the standard “customer care center” box. Yes, you’ll be on the phone taking hundreds of inbound calls weekly. Yes, your primary responsibility will be to answer questions and provide accurate information. And, yes, you’ll be giving and getting a lot of detailed information. However, the most important part of the job is that you’ll be building genuine connections with your customers and being a great ambassador for the Duke Energy brand – all while listening, anticipating customer needs and offering solutions. Our team members are dynamic. They seek opportunities to take initiative, adjust quickly to change, have a positive attitude, and take responsibility for results. They are able to deliver a great customer experience, even when handling challenging situations by offering customers alternative solutions and enhanced products. What you bring to the table is some experience and education, commitment to customer service and a strong work ethic.
In addition to a starting rate of $15.00/hour, this position includes an incentive program with the opportunity to earn hundreds of extra dollars in your paycheck!
Your major responsibilities will include:
- arriving on time and adhering to your schedule
- being an engaged customer advocate
- meeting or exceeding performance targets
- being a brand ambassador internally and externally
- thinking on your feet and learning in an ever-changing environment
- handling your customer’s needs with integrity and empathy in one transaction
- accurately navigating and maneuvering through multiple computer applications and screens simultaneously
- managing your time, recording it accurately and inputting it according to the company’s quality standards
- actively engaging and participating in training and weekly coaching sessions
- working on your own initiative and participating fully as part of a team under the guidance of a coach
- adapting to constant change, i.e. program offerings, computer tools, process changes
- being your best, on purpose, every time
As a successful applicant, you:
- have customer service experience
- possess a warm, friendly and engaging personality with a confident telephone manner
- demonstrate good organizational skills
- show a strong sense of responsibility and desire to get things done properly
- are self-aware and understand the impact of your own performance and behavior
- are highly self-motivated without self-importance
- consistently act as a collaborative team player striving for the success of the business
- have a passion for serving and are able to demonstrate tenacity and persistence
- are motivated by results
- communicate clearly and with confidence
- thrive when working within deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- maintain a positive rapport in challenging situations
- present yourself well with a positive, proactive and professional approach
General Job Information:
- Starting pay is $15.00 per hour. Based on performance, pay will generally increase by $0.50 at 6 and 12 month intervals and $0.25 at 18 and 24 month intervals. Future increases will be based on an annual performance review process.
- Specialists are generally awarded shifts during an annual schedule bid and will work those shifts for 12 months. However, based upon business need your schedule may change at any time throughout the year. Our care centers are a 24 hour / 7 days per week operation. Representatives are expected to be on-call and work extended hours to support higher call volumes during times of inclement weather, an average of five to six total weeks per year, and report to work when other businesses and schools are closed. Specialists are front-line employees just like our service technicians – if the power is out or there is a major weather event affecting power, they are expected to be here to serve our customers. We are open on holidays, for which you may sign up or be drafted to work during those times
- If you are selected to move forward in the hiring process, you will receive an email with a link to the online Duke Energy Customer Care Assessment. The e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you provide in your application . You will have 5 calendar days from the date you receive the e-mail to complete the Assessment. Timely completion of the Assessment is required in order for you to be further considered for this position.
Successful candidates will receive extensive training to ensure they are knowledgeable and prepared to handle customer issues. The training will begin on or shortly after your first day of employment and is expected to last 9 weeks. The training classes and schedule will vary according to location and position. During the training period, your consistent and reliable attendance will be required. Your continued employment will be contingent on successful completion of the training program.
If selected for an interview and offered a position, your offer will be contingent upon your submitting to and successfully completing a drug test and criminal background check within a reasonable timeframe and prior to employment.
- High School diploma or GED
- One year customer service experience (may include call center, hospitality, retail, etc.), either by phone or face to face
- Some college or college degree
- 2+ years customer service experience (may include call center, hospitality, retail, etc.), preferably to include call center
- Experience promoting products and services in a call center environment
- Bilingual (Spanish/English preferred) Bilingual Candidates must be fluent in Spanish and English, must be able to read and translate from English to Spanish and a minimum of two years of customer interaction or customer support experience is strongly preferred, either by phone or face to face
- Effective listening and communication skills and the ability to interact with external and/or internal customers in a professional, courteous and empathetic manner
- Ability to build trust and loyalty with customers, handle confidential information and act with integrity at all times
- Willingness to work in an environment that requires 100% phone-based customer interaction
- Ability to multi-task and navigate between multiple computer systems quickly and accurately while maintaining a dialogue with customers and meeting performance expectations
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule as described in the General Job Information section